Youtube API Integration With Safesquid To Allow Specific YouTube Videos
- 1 Overview
- 2 Client Scenario (Case Study)
- 3 Prerequisites
- 4 Create a YouTube V3 API using your Google Account.
- 5 Integrate the YouTube API Key in SafeSquid.
YouTube is a video-sharing website which provides a wide variety of videos. YouTube video content categories organize channels and videos on YouTube website. YouTube has lots of videos for entertainment like comedy, music, movies, web series, sports, etc.YouTube also provides lots of educational and training content used by students, employees, faculties, etc. in day to day life.
In every organization YouTube videos should be used for Productive purposes like learning, Marketing, etc. YouTube’s recommendations become confused over time, and begin showing you irrelevant or useless content. Watching unnecessary YouTube videos without any restriction, reduces work productivity and increases bandwidth utilization.
Restriction on watching unnecessary YouTube Videos will save lots of productive time and internet bandwidth. You can restrict unwanted videos from YouTube site on the basis of the video category. To identify the category of any video YouTube provides YouTube API.
SafeSquid SWG integrates with YouTube API which is used to identify the Category of the Requested YouTube Video. YouTube Video categories are enumerated in SafeSquid SWG. Now policies can be created on the basis of these categories so that Specific category of YouTube Videos can allow/block easily.
Client Scenario (Case Study)
- All staff/Students should not be allowed to access www.youtube.com. If any faculty/student try to access YouTube then he/she should get blocked template.
- Only few of the specified YouTube channel and its playlist should be allowed. These YouTube channel contains educational and knowledge sharing videos.
- You can achieve this by creating policy in Request Profiles Section and bind it with policies in Access Profiles Section.
- You need YouTube Channel-ID and List-ID of playlist, you want to allow.
- You have to extract Channel-ID and List-ID of the playlist from YouTube URL before creating policies in SafeSquid.All the
Of course all the videos/Playlist/channel etc. are educational and knowledge sharing.
But he face some difficulty for extracting Channel-ID and List-ID of the requested playlist/channel regularly.
The latest Version of SafeSquid (Versions August onward) includes YouTube API Integration with SafeSquid-SWG.That means you can now create Policies on the basis of YouTube Categories.
You can now allow/block specific category of videos on YouTube.
HTTPS Inspection should be enabled in SafeSquid. If not enabled, you can check our document - How to enable HTTPS Inspection
Create a YouTube V3 API using your Google Account.
- To Request the Category of Specific Video
- To extract Video Category from Video ID
Note:What happens over here is If you don’t Create a Project over here, Google will Automatically Create a new Project for you Named as “My First Project” when you ENABLE the YouTube Data API v3.
CREATE A NEW PROJECT
NAME AS : YouTubeAPI-For-SafeSquid
SELECT A PROJECT
ENABLE YOUTUBE DATA API V3
SELECT API KEY
Integrate the YouTube API Key in SafeSquid.
To identify the category of the YouTube video
Now we are going to Integrating this Key in SafeSquid-SWG.
To do that, Go to SafeSquid console.
Note: Please Restart SafeSquid Twice in order to Integrate YouTube API properly.
You have successfully integrated YouTube API with SafeSquid-SWG.
Now, Go ahead with Policy creation on the basis of YouTube Categories.
To do so, I will help you out in creating a simple Policy which will only allow Specific YouTube Category VIA SafeSquid all other YouTube Videos will be blocked.