Youtube API Integration With Safesquid To Allow Specific YouTube Videos
- 1 Overview
- 2 Client Scenario (Case Study)
- 3 Prerequisites
- 4 Create a YouTube V3 API using your Google Account.
- 5 Integrate the YouTube API Key in SafeSquid.
YouTube has a huge number of videos.YouTube provides a lost of Educational Content used by Students, Faculty, Corporate Training, etc. On the other hand YouTube also provide a lot
of entertainment videos, Cooking videos, web series etc.
Access to all those YouTube videos without restriction, reduces work productivity and increases unnecessary bandwidth Utilization.
Depending upon the organization, what kind of video content do they want to allow for their users. Any Enterprise would not recommend users to utilize their productive time in unwanted YouTube videos.
YouTube should be used for Productive purposes like learning, Marketing etc.
Allowing unwanted contents reduces work productivity and increases unnecessary bandwidth.
YouTube API provided by YouTube, provides a lot of Information about YouTube Videos.It can be used to identify the category of that particular video.
SafeSquid SWG helps to Integrate YouTube API which allows SafeSquid to Identify the Category of the Requested YouTube Video.These Categories are inbuilt in SafeSquid SWG.Now Policies can be created on the basis of categories so that Specific category of YouTube Videos can allow/block easily.
Client Scenario (Case Study)
- All staff/Students should not be allowed to access www.youtube.com. If any faculty/student try to access YouTube then he/she should get blocked template.
- Only few of the specified YouTube channel and its playlist should be allowed. These YouTube channel contains educational and knowledge sharing videos.
- You can achieve this by creating policy in Request Profiles Section and bind it with policies in Access Profiles Section.
- You need YouTube Channel-ID and List-ID of playlist, you want to allow.
- You have to extract Channel-ID and List-ID of the playlist from YouTube URL before creating policies in SafeSquid.
Of course all the videos/Playlist/channel etc. are educational and knowledge sharing.
But he face some difficulty for extracting Channel-ID and List-ID of the requested playlist/channel regularly.
The latest Version of SafeSquid (Versions August onward) includes YouTube API Integration with SafeSquid-SWG.That means you can now create Policies on the basis of YouTube Categories.
You can now allow/block specific category of videos on YouTube.
HTTPS Inspection should be enabled in SafeSquid. If not enabled, you can check our document - How to enable HTTPS Inspection
Create a YouTube V3 API using your Google Account.
- To Request the Category of Specific Video
- To extract Video Category from Video ID
Note:What happens over here is If you don’t Create a Project over here, Google will Automatically Create a new Project for you Named as “My First Project” when you ENABLE the YouTube Data API v3.
CREATE A NEW PROJECT
NAME AS : YouTubeAPI-For-SafeSquid
SELECT A PROJECT
ENABLE YOUTUBE DATA API V3
SELECT API KEY
Integrate the YouTube API Key in SafeSquid.
To identify the category of the YouTube video
Now we are going to Integrating this Key in SafeSquid-SWG.
To do that, Go to SafeSquid console.
Note: Please Restart SafeSquid Twice in order to Integrate YouTube API properly.
You have successfully integrated YouTube API with SafeSquid-SWG.
Now, Go ahead with Policy creation on the basis of YouTube Categories.
To do so, I will help you out in creating a simple Policy which will only allow Specific YouTube Category VIA SafeSquid all other YouTube Videos will be blocked.